Stikeman Elliott enjoys a long tradition of pro bono and community service work. Students and associates, in particular, are encouraged to support causes and initiatives for which they have energy and passion.
In 2006 our firm became a founding member of Imagine Canada, a nationally recognized organization geared towards promoting programs that encourage corporate giving, volunteering and community support. Imagine Canada challenges corporations to give back 1% of their pre-tax profits to the community as well as to become more involved in their communities through volunteer work.
With the firm's support and encouragement, many of our staff and lawyers contribute significantly to their communities. In our Calgary office:
- We encourage Grass Roots initiatives organized by firm members, such as the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation's Run for the Cure.
- We support our firm members by providing an annual matching donation for those who act as directors on the board of a registered charity. The firm will also match dollar per hour for volunteer time invested in a charity by staff, students and associates.
- We provide pro bono legal services for charities. All of our lawyers are encouraged to take on pro bono files, and often discover pro bono opportunities for themselves through volunteer activities.
- We proudly promote our SEeing is Believing program. This program allows all firm members to participate in pre-arranged volunteer work throughout the year during regular office hours.
- We annually host a Philanthropy Week which involves our entire office and raises a significant amount of funds. Our yearly campaign includes games, events, guest speakers, volunteer initiatives and considerable individual pledges.
- We work closely with Inn from the Cold, an organization that provides emergency shelter, support and programs to homeless children, their families and others in need.
Our Calgary office has been recognized numerous times for its active role in the community, including awards from Volunteer Calgary and Alberta Venture magazine.