Community Involvement and Pro Bono
We enjoy a long tradition of pro bono and community service work. With the firm's support, many of our lawyers and staff make a significant contribution to the community. Students and junior lawyers, in particular, are encouraged to support causes and initiatives for which they have energy and passion.
In the last three years, Stikeman Elliott firm members in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, and Vancouver have helped more than 60 organizations, donated countless personal volunteer hours, and raised more than $1,200,000 for charitable organizations in their communities.
In the Vancouver office:
- We participate in a week-long campaign to support the United Way. These events are an annual highlight for our lawyers and staff. In 2013, the Vancouver office raised $58,863.00 for the United Way and other charities during our campaign.
- We sponsored a team in the 2013 Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer. Our team of 16 firm members, clients, family and friends raised $62,612 in support of cancer research and patient care.
- We participate annually in the Run for the Cure, supporting the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Many of our lawyers act as directors on several boards, including Vancouver General Hospital and UBC Hospital, the Aga Khan Foundation, the Lower Mainland Christmas Bureau, the Jewish Family Services Agency and the Vancouver Aquarium.
- Some of our lawyers provide pro bono services to several organizations, volunteer for or assist in managing charitable or other community organizations, teach business law and real estate law and serve on university alumni associations.
- Grass Roots Initiatives which include charitable events/opportunities championed by individual firm members who take the lead in organizing and promoting firm-member involvement. The firm may provide support through things like t-shirts, lunches, boardroom space, email promotion, etc.
- Matching Donations of up to $600/year/person for volunteer work whereby the firm will match staff, law clerks, associates and articling students volunteer hours with a registered charity with a cash donation based on such work.
- Matching Donations of up to $5,000/year/person for firm members who sit on charitable boards and who make a financial contribution themselves to the charity.
- Pro Bono Legal Advice builds on the firm's current approach of providing pro bono legal services for not-for-profit organizations.
- Volunteer Profiles posted within our offices are used to bring awareness to specific charities and volunteer opportunities.
In 2010 the Firm received two special Lexpert Zenith Awards for its pro bono work. The first award was in recognition of Stikeman Elliott's work with the Osgoode Business Law Clinic and the second award was in recognition of the pro bono work that our firm members have done with the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada (Assembly of First Nations). In 2011 the Firm was again recognized with a Lexpert Zenith Award for "Philanthropy that Impacts Children" category for our Calgary office's support of the local Kids Inn Play program.