Corporate Social Responsibility
We are committed to acting as responsible, engaged and accountable corporate citizens. For us, this means dedicating our time, talents and resources to creating social change. Please see our Calgary Corporate Citizenship Report for a highlight of recent activities, or read about our programs below.
Stikeman Elliott enjoys a long tradition of pro bono and community service work. Students and associates, in particular, are encouraged to support causes and initiatives for which they have energy and passion. With the firm's support and encouragement, many of our staff and lawyers contribute significantly to their communities. In our Calgary office:
- We encourage Grass Roots initiatives, organized by firm members, such as the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation's Run for the Cure.
- We support our firm members by providing an annual matching donation for those who act as directors on the board of a registered charity. The firm will also match dollar per hour for volunteer time invested in a charity by staff, students and associates.
- We provide pro bono legal services for charities. All of our lawyers are encouraged to take on pro-bono files, and often discover pro-bono opportunities for themselves through volunteer activities.
- We proudly promote our SEeing is Believing program. This program allows all firm members to participate in pre-arranged volunteer work throughout the year during regular office hours.
- We encourage firm members to be involved with and join boards of charities. Our Calgary lawyers act on the boards of numerous local organizations such as Junior Achievement of Southern Alberta, Theatre Calgary, CODE Canada and the Discovery House Family Violence Prevention Society.
- We annually host a Philanthropy Week campaign which involves our entire office and raises a significant amount of funds. Our yearly campaign includes games, events, guest speakers, volunteer initiatives and considerable individual pledges.
- We works closely with Inn from the Cold, an organization that provides emergency shelter, support and programs to homeless children, their families and others in need.
Our Calgary office has been recognized numerous times for its active role in the community, including awards from Volunteer Calgary and Alberta Venture magazine.
Stikeman Elliott is committed to diversity amongst its lawyers, students, and staff and we want to ensure that all firm members are supported, valued, respected, and provided with the best possible development opportunities.
Our efforts in ensuring a diverse work environment at Stikeman Elliott have advanced our culture and overall business objectives and success in several ways. By seeking to attract and retain individuals from all of Canada's diverse communities, we ensure that our people are the best and the brightest that Canada has to offer. Stikeman Elliott committed to diversity Stikeman Elliott was named one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 as selected by Mediacorp. in conjunction with the Globe and Mail.
Our firm members support a variety of community initiatives, including outreach at local schools and pro bono and volunteer work with organizations aimed at integrating Calgary immigrants into Canadian Society.
At Stikeman Elliott, we are immensely proud of the role that women lawyers play at the firm - both as role models and as leaders in their areas of practice. Some of our specific programs to promote women's success in the firm include mentorship programs, and progressive policies on maternity leave, and flexible hours.
Stikeman Elliott's GoingGreen Program, officially launched in 2008, is part of our continuing effort to reduce the environmental impact of our day-to-day operations. The Program involves the firm wide implementation of market-leading environmental best practices.
Stikeman Elliott became the first national Canadian law firm to be certified as carbon neutral in 2008, and through the support and enthusiasm of our firm members for our GoingGreen program, maintained the status for over eight years. Locally, our Calgary office has undertaken a number of Green initiatives, including the elimination of all plastic drinking bottles and utensils, automatic double-sided printing, light timers and internal programs such as "Bus to Work on Us."
From 2010 to 2014, Stikeman Elliott has been named one of The Green 30 - Canada's 30 Greenest Employers, as selected by Maclean's magazine, in partnership with Aon Hewitt. The award represents a culmination of the firm's efforts to fully integrate environmental stewardship into our operations and values. In 2013, 2014 and 2015, the firm was also named one of Canada's Greenest Employers, based on its submission to Canada's Top 100 Employers competition, together with research conducted by MediaCorp.
By streamlining operations, sponsoring relevant environmental programs and encouraging individual participation at the firm, Stikeman Elliott continues to remain at the forefront of corporate social responsibility initiatives in the legal industry.