Stikeman Elliott has been the firm behind the headlines in many of the most challenging Canadian business transactions and court cases. As a result, we have been recognized in major Canadian and international league tables as the market leader among Canadian law firms in the practice areas at the heart of sophisticated corporate, M&A, securities, real estate, banking and structured finance transactions.
> Review our recent transactions
First in Canadian and Cross-Border M&A
- Ranked Band 1 for M&A and Corporate-Commercial Law by Chambers Global and IFLR1000, and more lawyers ranked than any other firm in Best Lawyers and Lexpert.
- #1 Canadian firm for M&A by deal count (Bloomberg, Mergermarket and Thomson Reuters 2016).
- #1 Canadian firm for Cross Border announced deals by deal value (Bloomberg 2016).
- Only Canadian firm for Global announced deals based on deal count (Bloomberg 2016).
- Only Canadian firm ranked for Americas by deal count (Mergermarket 2016).
- Top ranked Canadian firm in Private Equity for Global buyouts, U.S. buyouts, and U.S. buyouts and exits by deal value (Mergermarket 2016).
First in Capital Markets among Canadian Firms
- 2016 Canadian Law Firm of the Year (IFLR Americas).
- Ranked Tier 1 in Capital Markets by IFLR1000, with more lawyers ranked than any other firm in Best Lawyers and Lexpert.
- #1 law firm for Canadian Equity, Equity Offerings, Equity Linked & Preferred and Equity Offerings & Equity Linked (for Manager) by deal count (Bloomberg 2016).
- #1 law firm for Canadian Corporate Bonds (for Issuer) by deal count and value (Bloomberg 2016).
- #1 law firm for Canadian Equity IPO (for Issuer) by deal value (Bloomberg 2016).
- #1 law firm for Canadian Equity Offerings and Combined Equity & Debt Offerings (for Underwriter) by deal count (Financial Post 2016).
- Top ranked Canadian firm in Global Equity, Equity Linked & Rights (for Manager) by deal count (Bloomberg 2016).
First in IFLR1000 & Chambers Global
These leading international survey-based ratings services consistently recognize Stikeman Elliott as one of Canada's leading business law practices. Stikeman Elliott currently holds the highest rating for its securities/equity capital markets and M&A practices in both of these surveys.
The firm was also selected as the 2017 "M&A Law Firm of the Year" in Canada by Best Lawyers, an organization which additionally honoured 10 Stikeman Elliott lawyers with the "Lawyer of the Year" designation in their respective practice areas.
First in Business Litigation
Stikeman Elliott's National Litigation Group is rated among Canada's top-tier business litigation practices by domestic and international legal directories, including:
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory cites 14 Stikeman Elliott litigators among those recommended in the areas of Class Actions, Corporate Commercial, Corporate Tax, Commercial Insurance, Directors' and Officers' Liability, Product Liability, Public Law, International Commercial Arbitration, and Securities Litigation.
Nine of our litigators were recognized in Lexpert/American Lawyer's Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, and 14 lawyers were cited in Lexpert's Guide to the Leading U.S./Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada.
Benchmark Canada Litigation named Stikeman Elliott its "Ontario Firm of the Year", and honoured Vancouver counsel Hein Poulus with its Lifetime Achievement award at the 3rd annual Benchmark Canada Litigation Awards. Nicholas McHaffie was recognized as Benchmark's White Collar Crime / Enforcement / Constitutional Litigator of the year, and 19 of our lawyers were named in Benchmark's Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Law Firms and Attorneys.
> BACK TO TOP