|Publications & Conferences
David speaks and writes regularly on communications and privacy matters, most recently including:
- "Digital Privacy Act also impacts analog world", The Lawyers Weekly, June 2014.
- "Different Strokes: Managing Privacy Across Marketing Channels", co-presenter on behalf of Canadian Marketing Association at 2014 Privacy Symposium of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Toronto, May 2014.
- "Beyond the Law" Exploring the Legal Limits to the Regulation of Marketing Communications", moderator and panellist, 17th Biennial National Conference: New Developments in Communications Law and Policy", LSUC/CBA, Ottawa, May 2014.
- "The Age of Consent: Canada's Opt-In Anti-Spam Law", presentation to inaugural meeting of Conference Board of Canada's Western Chief Privacy Officer's Council, Calgary, April 2014.
- "Countdown to Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation: Make Sure You Are Ready", Law Society of Upper Canada and the Ontario Bar Association, Toronto, April 2014.
- "Managing High Risk Compliance Areas", Osgoode Hall Law School's certificate program in Regulatory Compliance & Legal Risk Management, Toronto, March 2014.
- "Where did we end up with CASL?", Advertising and Marketing Law Conference, Canadian Institute, Toronto, January 2014.
- "Anti-Spam Law", Canadian Construction Association's Chief Operating Officers' Conference, Ottawa, November 2013.
- "Your Mobile Workforce - What You Should Know About BYOD and COPE", Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, October 2013.
- "Disclosure Issues in the Digital Economy", Competition Bureau of Canada and Samuelson-Glushko Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic's Online Advertising in Canada: Workshop on Emerging Business, Consumer & Regulatory Issues, Ottawa, October 2013.
- "Anti-Spam Law", Canada Life's 2013 Client Advisory Council Meeting, Toronto, September 2013.
- "Preparing for Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation", The Conference Board of Canada, July 2013.
- "The Age of Consent: Canada's Opt-in Anti-Spam Law Draws Near", Canadian Bankers Association, Toronto, June 2013.
- "The Age of Consent: Canada's Opt-in Anti-Spam Law Draws Near", CASL and Other Privacy Updates, The Council for Chief Privacy Officers, May 2013.
- "A Guide to Canada's New Anti-Spam Law (CASL)", Osgoode Professional Development, Toronto, April 2013.
- "The Age of Consent: Canada's Opt-in Anti-Spam Law Draws Near", Stikeman Elliott CLE Seminar, April 2013.
- "The New Canada Anti-Spam Law (CASL): Industry Canada has Spoken - In-house Counsel Should Listen", co-hosted by Canadian Corporate Counsel Association and Canadian Bar Association, Toronto, March 2013.
- "Managing High Risk Compliance Areas", Osgoode Certificate in Regulatory Compliance and Legal Risk Management for Financial Institutions, Toronto, March 2013.
- "In Conversation with David Elder", Understanding Privacy in 2013: The New Rules of Engagement, Marketing magazine conference, Toronto, February 2013.
- "Friends, Cookies and Commerce: Interest-Based and Social Media Marketing", PIPA Conference 2012: Privacy on the Go, Calgary, November 2012.
- "Cross Border Data Flows: Multi National Cloud Environments", 3rd Annual Privacy, Access and Security Congress, Reboot Communications, Ottawa, October 2012.
- "Privacy Key Issue - When is Data Anonymous?", panel discussion, 3rd Annual Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, September 2012.
- "Understanding Bill C-30," iPolitics webcast discussion, March 2012.
- "Private Sector Privacy: A Matter of Principles," International Association of Privacy Professionals Knowledgenet, Toronto, February 2012.
- "Interest Based Advertising: Privacy, Priorities and Proportionality," Luncheon Keynote Address to 13th Annual Privacy & Security Conference: Keeping Pace with the Digital Revolution, Victoria, B.C., February 2012.
- "Behavioural Geo Targeting and On-Line Advertising: 'Every Move you Make...'", panel discussion, 13th Annual Privacy & Security Conference: Keeping Pace with the Digital Revolution, Victoria, B.C., February 2012.
- "Interest Based Advertising: Privacy, Priorities and Proportionality," keynote speaker and "Behavioural Geo Targeting and On-Line Advertising," panel discussion, 13th Annual Privacy and Security Conference: Keeping Pace with the Digital Revolution, Reboot Communications, Victoria, February 2012.
- "Voltage meets resistance from Federal Court: New Safeguards imposed on disclosure order to combat copyright trolling", Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, v. 15 no. 1, May 2014.
- "Canada's 2014 Budget: Funding for Broadband, New Wireless Rules and Enforcement Tools", World Communications Regulation Report, Bloomberg BNA, April 2014.
- "Government promises better wireless pricing and TV channel choice, but implementation is unclear," Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, December 2013.
- Challenges arise when devices used for work and play," The Lawyers Weekly September 2013.
- "Canada" chapter, Getting the Deal Through: Telecoms and Media 2013, Law Business Research Ltd., April 2013.
- "Opt-in: Canada's new legislation to eliminate spam", E-Commerce Law & Policy, December 2012.
- "Commissioner warns websites to fix 'web leakage'", The Lawyers Weekly, November 16 2012.
- "Leon's decision rearranges the furniture of Canadian privacy law," Privacy Pages, August 2012.
- "CRTC tweaks anti-spam regulations", Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada, May 2012.
- "Canada" chapter, Getting the Deal Through: Telecoms and Media 2012, Law Business Research Ltd., April 2012
- "Lawful access bill drawing more fire," The Lawyers Weekly, April 2012.
David is frequently interviewed by the media and is cited and asked to comment on communications, competition, and privacy law matters. He has been quoted in various publications, including:
- "New guidance on advertising claims", Law Times, 14 April 2014.
- "Wireless auction renews focus on competition", Law Times, 14 April 2014.
- "Alberta ruling may spark challenges to other province's laws", Law Times, 20 January 2014.
- "Drew Hasselback: Don't spam your uncle", Financial Post, 11 December 2013.
- "Canada to implement portions of new anti-spam legislation", Bloomberg BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report, 10 December 2013.
- "Canada's anti-spam law comes into effect in July, 2014", Financial Post, 4 December 2013.
- "Anti-spam exemptions follow industry consultation, Moore says", The Wire Report, December 2013.
- "BYOD and Beyond: ACC Addresses Security Risks in the Digital Age", Law Technology News, November 2013.
- "The Exponential Growth of Privacy Law", Lexpert Magazine, October 2013.
- "Cole prompts vigorous debate on privacy at work," Law Times, 21 January 2013.
- "Will the digital cloud lead to a deluge of privacy class actions?" Financial Post, 28 November 2012.
- "Lawyers critical of spam guidance: CRTC information raises ire of business community," Law Times, 29 October 2012.
- "Supreme Court Bolsters Employee Privacy," Lexpert, October 2012.
- "Businesses jittery as new law to take effect next year," Law Times, 4 June 2012.
- "The Supreme Court of Canada's recent decision to refuse leave to appeal in Globalive Wireless Management Corp. v. Public Mobile Inc.", The Globe and Mail, Report on Business, Law Page, May 9, 2012.
- "Globalive casts long shadow," Lexpert, March 2012.
- "Government changes rules to attract new entrants," Law Times, 23 April 2012.
- "CRTC publishes final anti-spam regulations," Financial Post, 16 March 2012.
- "Expiring terms present opportunity to reduce commission size," The Wire Report, 17 January 2012.
- "Commission's executive exchange program flatlines, for now," The Wire Report, 6 January 2012.